“Can I touch your hair?” “You don’t talk Black.” “You’re pretty for a Black girl.” These are all examples of microaggressions — nasty little comments that get said to Black women every single day and that add up to major trauma. Being a Black woman in modern America is anything but easy. This week, Ms. Danielle is joined by friend and radio personality Tanisha Nichole to talk about microaggressions, how you can recognize them, and how you can help stop them from causing harm.
- A transcript of this episode is available here.
- @tanishanichole on Instagram
- “Empathy and Eyebrows” by Ms. Danielle
- Getting Comfortable with Discomfort with Ms. Danielle
- Still Kickin Sessions (Full List)
- “Did you really just say that?” - advice on confronting microaggressions by Rebecca A. Clay
SHOP OUR SPONSOR
We reserve one free ad in every HAHO episode for a BIPOC-owned business. If that's you, reach out to us at email@example.com.
This week we featured Civic Saint — products that inspire joy, nostalgia and reflection all while fighting for racial and social equity.
HAVE A TOPIC?
If you have a topic you'd like to see addressed on the show, let us know by recording a voice memo into your phone and emailing it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
- Subscribe - click subscribe on whatever app you use to listen to your podcasts.
- Follow us on @hahopodcast - where you can see the latest from Help a Human Out Podcast.
- Share - the more listens the better we do and more folks we show up for! Share this with your friends and family!
- Support - if you are able we offer ways to financially support this work - it will get you free access to the Still Kickin Club and special content too!